1. General Conduct. The Mission of Guam Animals In Need (hereinafter referred to as “GAIN” or from time to time as the “organization”) is to promote the well-being of animals on Guam. GAIN is a non-profit organization funded by tax payer dollars and private contributions. In order to effectuate the greatest level of public trust, volunteers are required to maintain the highest standards of ethical conduct and provide quality service. I shall conduct myself in the highest ethical and responsible manner while performing my volunteer duties, which includes but is not limited to conducting myself in a professional, courteous and respectful manner when acting in my volunteer capacity and dealing with the members of the public, other GAIN volunteers, employees and staff.
2. Volunteer Position. I expressly agree that my services are being provided as a volunteer and that I am not an employee of GAIN, and as such, I am not entitled to salary, benefits, or any other actual or equitable entitlements under the laws of employment. I agree that GAIN may, at any time, with or without cause terminate this volunteer relationship. Immediate grounds for termination include, but are not limited to: misconduct or insubordination, theft of property or misuse of GAIN resources, abuse or mistreatment of animals, staff or other volunteers, failure to abide by the organization’s policies and procedures, or failure to satisfactorily perform assigned duties. Likewise, I also may, at any time, with or without cause, terminate my volunteer relationship with the organization.
3. Media/ Public Statements. I shall not make any written or verbal communications of behalf of GAIN, or hold myself out as a representative or spokesperson of GAIN to any member of the public without any consent of the Board of Directors. I shall defer any and all requests for interviews and/or statements directly to the Shelter Manager or the President of the GAIN Board of Directors.
4. Fundraising/ Finances. I shall abide by the “Fundraising Policies and Procedures” if I accept donations of any form on behalf of GAIN. I understand that donations include but not limited to: (a) Financial contributions, given by way of cash or check; (b) Supplies of any kind given with the intent of use by the GAIN Animal Shelter; or, (c) In-kind donations in the form of services or supplies. In receiving a donation, I shall generate, or cause to be generated a receipt for said donation, a copy of which shall be given to the Treasurer or the Shelter Manager. I agree that only the Board of Directors of GAIN (hereinafter referred to as the “Board”) will decide on the expenditure of the GAIN funds. I further agree that any and all requests for the organization’s information and/or finances shall be made officially in writing to the Board, and that any and all inquiries for grants in which GAIN financial information is required Board approval shall be mandatory.
5. Reporting of Donations. I shall report any and all donations to the Shelter Manager within twenty four (24) hours receipt, and shall relinquish physical possession of said donations to the Shelter Manager within twenty four (24) hours receipt, unless otherwise directed by the Shelter Manager. But in no event may I store any donations at any other location other than the GAIN Animal Shelter (hereinafter the “Shelter”) for more than seven (7) days.
6. Appropriation of Resources. I shall not use any of the organization’s information, finances, shelter supplies or shelter property for personal use. I shall not remove or cause to remove any property of GAIN from the Shelter, including but not limited to the organization’s records; documents; food (perishable or otherwise); supplies; trees and shrubs; fixtures; fences; and any other property that does not belong to me at the Shelter, without the knowledge or consent of the Shelter Manager and the Board. I shall not accept cash or check donations to GAIN without reporting said donation, and I shall accurately represent the purpose and source of any and all donations.
7. Reporting of Violations. I shall report any violations of the above rules to either the Shelter Manager, or to the Complaints Committee.
8. Assumption of Risk. I am voluntarily participating in the activities of GAIN with full knowledge of the risks and dangers involved and hereby agree to accept any and all risks of injury, death, or damage to myself and/or my personal property. As a volunteer, I may come into contact with and interact with animals, and such work entails risk of personal injury due to proximity to animals, dangerous equipment, driving, and other considerations. These include, but are not limited to, being bitten, clawed, tripped, and possibly exposed to diseases. I further understand that volunteer activities may include, but are not limited to, strenuous physical activity, traversing rugged terrain, and heat exposure. I hereby expressly assume the risk of injury or harm of these activities and release GAIN, its successors and assigns, from all liability for injury, illness, death or property damage resulting from participation in any activities with GAIN.
9. Release of Liability. I expressly agree to release and hold harmless GAIN, its officers, employees, agents and representatives from any responsibility or liability for personal injury, including death and damage to or loss of property that I may incur due to the negligence of GAIN, its officers, employees, agents, and representatives or others while at the Shelter or otherwise engaging in activities pursuant to this agreement.
10. Conflict of Interest. As a recipient of public funds, GAIN has certain fiduciary duties and reporting requirements with respect to its financial allocations. If, at any time, I deem that I may have a conflict of interest between serving the needs of GAIN and my personal needs, and/or I have an issue of concern with GAIN’s general statement of commitment, I shall inform my direct supervisor.